VMware vSphere is the industry-leading virtualization platform for server consolidation and centralized management. Several SMBs have taken advantage of this technology to reduce operational expenditures over the last couple of years. However, many have not been able to take advantages of the “Availability/Business Continuity features- HA, vMotion, vSphere Replication because of the high cost of shared storage.
At VMworld 2012 last week, HP announced the rebranding of the HP Lefthand VSA product to address this issue.
HP Storevirtual VSA transforms the internal storage of your VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V servers into fully featured shared storage for applications and virtual environments. The StoreVirtual VSA software delivers the scalability and high availability of HP LeftHand arrays to SMBs. Get all the benefits of shared storage without the big price tag €€€. Check out the datasheet for more details.
Who can benefit from HP StoreVirtual VSA?
- Small and midsize customers rely on VSA to reduce complexity and cost through the co-location of virtualized applications and shared storage. It’s a great way to deploy virtual infrastructure on standard hardware at a much lower cost.
- Independent public cloud providers use VSA paired with modular building blocks to deliver new cloud and managed services for customers such as hosted disaster recovery or dedicated storage to match dedicated compute offerings.
- Enterprises use HP StoreVirtual VSA to replicate data from virtualized remote offices into large enterprise datacenters in order to centralize operations and improve resiliency.
- Lower price on single VSA licenses, now with 3 years of support included
- New Multi-pack VSA licenses enable cost effective deployment at scale
- The only iSCSI VSA certified by VMware as a vSphere Metro Storage Cluster solution
- Integration with Veeam software provides enhanced backup and recovery
The ”Start small and grow big” strategy avoids up front storage costs by using VSA on existing disk storage today; then move to a physical LeftHand array as your storage needs evolve. StoreVirtual VSA seamlessly migrates all data to any LeftHand array with Peer Motion functionality.
For those HP P4500 Virtualization SAN and Multi-site SAN customers, note that the VSA license is included at no extra charge. Levarage your existing HP Centralized Management Console to manage your remote offices.
StoreVirtual VSA requires VMware vSphere or Microsoft Hyper-V servers with at least:
- 3 GB of RAM reserved
- One virtual CPU with 2GHz reserved
- 5 GB to 2 TB of disk space per virtual disk, up to 10 TB total per virtual storage appliance
- A dedicated Gigabit virtual switch